Monday, October 11, 2010

Benefiting From The Things We Use


It's normal that all of us want things in this life. Game systems, the latest gadget, a new iPod, a cell phone, we all want things sometimes.

But for some of us, do we get it just like that? Some can't afford it, so they go to their parents for the cash, while others go and get a job to buy it.

I'm in the middle of both. I know I can have something if I go to my parents, but I don't because I'll feel like I'm wasting their money and burdening them to buy something I want, not need.

I remember when the new Nintendo DS Lite came out. I was 12 and I wanted it so bad, but I never asked my parents to buy it for me. I ended up saving it up and alhamdulillah, by saving up my Eid money, lunch money, random money, I had 80$. A few weeks later, my parents found out about my savings and were shocked and bought me my Ds. :) (with the 80 that I saved up, of course). I was happy that I got it and that I have (somewhat) accomplished my goal.

We're now in 2010 and I hardly use my Ds. In fact, I don't know where it is.

And this is the problem, we buy things that will not be of benefit later on. I only bought the DS because my friend had one and now, of what use is it to me?



I can't think of a way to re-use it since I don't like playing on consoles anymore. Perhaps, the next time we all buy something, we should ask ourselves this: How can this device benefit me in the future? How do I not regret buying?


The answer is simply, by planning ahead. If I buy a soccer ball (or some of you, a football :P), how do I benefit from it now and later on?
  • I'm very interested in joining the soccer/football team
  • I'd like to practice at home
  • I'm thinking of staying in the soccer team for a long time
  • Football is something I'm planing on doing later on
If I ask my 12 year old self , before I bought the Ds that is the DS something I see myself using in five years? I'm sure my 12 year old self would say no.



If you ask yourself " Do I see my using this in 3 or 5 years?" , you are sure to benefit for a long time inshaAllah.


If you establish that, then you can go a step further and say " How can I use this device to bring me closer to Allah (swt) and increase my imaan?"


If I buy a camera(which I do want to btw. :)), how do I use it to get myself closer to Allah (swt)?
  • By not using it for evil
  • By sharing it with other and show them the beautiful creation of Allah
  • By (perhaps) opening up the eyes of others to this deen
  • Maybe even use it for da'wah or help an event that's doing good
It doesn't necessarily need to be these, there are many way of using it for your own good. Maybe, you're into photography and you want to share your art work with others. There are millions of good possibilities to use a camera.

If we benefit from the things we use, there's no going wrong. If we benefit from it and accomplish something good with what you use, then that's even better. If try this, we'll learn to benefit more often than to regret often, inshaAllah.

EDIT: Sister Nadia has another good point on this that I'd like to add here. She says :
What I would add to your list is that people do not necessarily have to buy all things for themselves. It is possible also borrow things, as well as buy them to be used in bigger group of people. It's also reasonable to sell things that are not needed anymore. It saves new natural resources and gives a chance for someone else to have what he/she possibly needs. And you had good point reminding us that objects should be used to increase iman and remind us from Allh, may praise and glory be to Him.

2 comments:

Vanamo said...

Salam aleikum sister,
your post was a very interesting and important one. These days, people are supported by markets forces and public opinion to consume more while not so many ask do we really need all that. Do all those things make us happy in the long run?

What I would add to your list is that people do not necessarily have to buy all things for themselves. It is possible also borrow things, as well as buy them to be used in bigger group of people. It's also reasonable to sell things that are not needed anymore. It saves new natural resources and gives a chance for someone else to have what he/she possibly needs. And you had good point reminding us that objects should be used to increase iman and remind us from Allh, may praise and glory be to Him.

bintZaynab said...

Wa Alaykumu Salaam sister Nadia. :)

JazakiAllah Khair for your comment! It's very true on your point of not just buying something for yourself, but sharing what you have. I'll add that, inshaAllah. JazakiAllah Khair =)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...